DEFINITION OF SOUL

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DEFINITION OF SOUL

Post by AdminTim on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Please read "AdmninTim's Introduction" prior to studying this.  It will help you
to know the methodology used here and my other studies on this site.  Here we'll
try to nail down what a soul really is. Two words pertain to the word soul in the
Bible and they are "soul" and "breath".  We'll look first at the conclusion of their meanings.  The basis of it is listed below first in Hebrew then the Greek.

SOUL

CONCLUSION:  From Biblical context below we conclude that the soul is of YHVH
but is not the essence of life.   It is a gift from GOD to a person or a people producing physical affect from Godly desire. Requiring a living vessel it belongs to GOD, returns to Him near death and is a gift he may reclaim from us if we don't
care for it.  It flourishes in Day and suffers in darkness and it is reflected by our
flesh.  It may conjoin with a female through physical intercourse.  Breath and
soul are synonymous in most instances.  GOD gives us breath (a soul) to reflect
his light.

The purpose of the soul is to convert GOD's will into physical reality.  From a purely Biblical perspective the Bible is a soul.  The light of scripture is unified by a  binding and within it are Night (old testament) and Day (new testament) as described in Genesis.  We have the old testament Jews and the new testament gentiles.  Encompassing them is Elohim HIS soul.  In a similar way the moon is a soul.  The light of the sun is reflected by it.  As we view it we can see either Night or Day or combinations of them as phases. 

Individual souls are grown within us as sprouting from belief in the seeds of the gospel of scripture.  If we nourish them they will flourish and produce positive
things for GOD.  If we neglect them and become negative and imbalanced they
lose their ability to contain us and we become independent and unstable.

BASIS:

SOUL:  (H5315) nephesh, neh-fesh, means a breathing creature or an animal
of abstract vitality, from (H5314) primitive root- naphash, naw-fash, to breathe
or be breathed upon or figuratively refreshed as if by a current of air i.e. refresh selves.  Nephesh consists of the Hebrew letters Ayin-Bet-Gimmel that in
pictograph indicate "gather the family of souls".  Some Biblical applications:

1.- (Gen. 2:7) "man became a living soul."
 2.- (Gen 34:3) The narrator speaks of the rapist of Dinah stating "...his soul
      clave unto Dinah..."
 3.- (Gen 35:18) Rachel gives birth and "her soul was in departing (for she died)...".
 4.- (Ex 30:12) Every Jew paid the priest "...a ransom for his soul unto the Lord."
 5.- (Lev 26:43)  Speaking of desolation "...and because their soul abhorred my   
      statutes."
 6.- (Deut 4:29) Speaking of seeking the Lord "...with all thy heart and with all thy 
       soul."
 7.- (1Sam1:15) Hannah speaking without words says I "...poured out my soul
       before the Lord".
 8.- (Ps 35:13) David speaking out of empathy says "...I humbled my soul with 
      fasting..."
 9.- (Ps 120:2) "Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue."
 10.- (Ps 25:25) "As cold waters to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far 
        country."

From the passages we can say that the soul:
 1. is distinguished from the essence of life & comes from God.  2. may inhabit
 others through intercourse  3. leaves the flesh near death  4. is ours on a 
 contingency 5. may represent a collective or a group  6. is influenced by our
 heart  7. communicates with God  8. relates our physical condition to God 
 9. is opposed to lies 10. suffers when absent from God

Summary:  The soul is of GOD but is not the essence of life.  It may join with
 a female in physical intercourse.  It belongs to GOD, returns to Him near death
 and is a gift he may reacquire from us if we don't care for it.  It flourishes in
 Day and is reflected by our flesh.  Harmful are sin and absence from God's light.

BREATH and BREATH of Life: (H5397) are defined as a puff, vital breath, divine inspiration or intellect, soul or spirit.  This word/phrase is often used for soul so lets see if there's anything more to learn from it.  Ten uses as it pertains to the soul are:

1. (Gen 2:7) Speaking of Adam God breathed "into his nostrils the breath of life"
 2. (Gen 7:21 & 22) After the flood "all flesh" died & all "in whose nostrils was
      the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died."
 3. (1Kings 17:17) "his sickness was so sore that there was no breath left in him"
 4. (Job 27:3) "while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils"
 5. (Job 33:4) "The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the
     Almighty hath given me life."
 6. (Job 34:14) "...if he gather unto himself his spirit and his breath..." (from all flesh it will all die)
 7. (Job 37:10) "By the breath of God frost is given..."
 8. (Is 2:22) Speaking of judgment and against worldliness "Cease ye from man, whose
      breath is in his nostrils..."
 9. (Is 42:5) Speaking of earth "he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and
      spirit to them that walk therein..."
 10. (Dan 5:23) "...God in whose hand thy breath is..."

From the verses for breath or breath of life we can say:
1. The earth already possessed life and to it a soul was added. Adam was a more 
complex element than men in general.  2. all living things including those with souls died  3. may leave  before death  4.  is closely related to life 5. God's spirit is life while GOD's breath is an everlasting soul  6. may possess a collective group  7. produces physical effect from Godly desire  8. some souls are negative  9. souls
emanate from the dust while life comes from within earth 10. it is in God's care

Summary:  Breath requires a living vessel and may leave in anticipation of death.
It is a gift from God to a person or a people.  It produces physical affect from Godly desire.

Soul (G5590) in Greek originated from "breath" and means an animal spirit that is distinguished from the
immortal soul.  It is virtually the same as the Hebrew term for soul (H5315) above.  

1. (Mt. 10:28) Speaking of satan "which is able to destroy both soul" and body.  
2. (Mk 8:36)   "For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and l 
    lose his own soul?"
3. (Lk 12:20)  "...Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee..."
4. (Acts 2:27) "...leave not my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One
    to see corruption."
5. (Rom 2:9) "...anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, 
    and also of the Gentile:"
6. (Heb 4:12) The word of God is like a sword "piercing even to the dividing asunder
     of soul & spirit..."
7. (Js 5:20) "he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a
     soul from death..."
8. (1 Peter 2:11) "abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;"

Of those passages above that apply to soul we can say that it:
1. is separate from our body  2. is greater than material wealth  3. can be withdrawn from earth  4. can be withdrawn from hell  5. there are souls that do evil  6.  can be separated from our lives 7. souls are responsible for our salvation  8. is influenced by the physical

Summary:  The soul is divisible from us and is of the greatest value.  We must nourish it.

Breath (G4157) respiratIon, a breeze, breath, wind, from (4154) to breathe hard - blow.  This term was used once in the new testament.

1. (Acts 17:25) YHVH "giveth to all life, and breath, and all things."

Summary:  GOD gives us breath to reflect his light.
AdminTim
Admin

View user profile http://4himtree.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top