DEFINING THE GOD OF THE BIBLE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DEFINING THE GOD OF THE BIBLE

Post by AdminTim on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:25 pm

Defining the God of the Bible

Please read the "Tim's Introduction" listed separately that explains the methodology of this study.  Before reading the Bible it's nice to have an understanding of who is represented when reading the English word "God".  This one word is substituted to cover seven different names in the original Hebrew language.  How many Gods are there and what about "Lord", "Adoni" and others?   These are good questions but lets look first at the Hebrew names used where the English word "God" is substituted in the Bible.  We'll study the other names separately as this is a lot to chew already. The conclusion is listed first and then the basis of it.

CONCLUSION

1. Yehovah:  Of the seven names for God it's clear that there is one self-existent, eternal, all-knowing Supreme God and he is labeled Yehovah.  He is the same as Jehovah the God of the Jews and is also representative of the sacred name of God. It may be stated as YHVH and the Hebrew letters interpreted to read "breathe sow inhale reap".  He is meek and is always listed together with "Lord" in scripture except twice.

Based on the summary of Biblical references below we know that his ways can be mysterious but we that we may ask him questions and expect an answer.  He has grace, mercy & compassion but is merciless toward sin.  He gives yet he punishes and requires accountability in the physical and the spiritual.  

Genesis chapter one gives much more insight where YHVH is identified as the spirit of God who directed creation.  HE is a GOD of souls.  It shows how that HE is the object of the soul Elohim (see below) and how that HE may travel with him.  In this way YHVH is the head of a family of three.  It also reveals that HE has two aspects one positive and one negative.  HE sows with the positive and reaps with the negative and grows thereby.

2. El:  This name for God is defined as the Almighty or mighty and can also mean a lesser deity.  The name can be said to mean "strong mentor".  As summarized below he too is three in one and created both the heavens and the earth.  Loyalty to his proven methods strengthens and heals us bringing joy.  He steadfastly dwells among us and is gracious so that we will be saved from damnation.  

El is a prefix indicative of the presence of YHVH's seed Elah described below.

3. Elohim:  The most frequently used name for God in the old testament by far.  The name may be said to mean "strong mentor reveals deed blood".  From Biblical examples below we know that he is worthy of all praise, self existent, supreme & perpetual but likes to rest.  Supreme and all knowing he created the physical and controls it and likes to rest.  He is a virtuous promise keeper while bitterly fighting his enemies.  He rewards and communes with us infusing his truth in our hearts.  

Again clarity is found in Genesis one where we see Elohim is the name of the soul of YHVH. Within Him are the soul's object YHVH (Spirit), seed Elah (Soul) and female Eloah (Spirit).  

4. Elah:  The fourth Hebrew name for God is a component of Elohim.  The name can be interpreted to mean "strong mentor added behold".   In Biblical context he is our Lord and YHVH.  He is a soul that looks like God having a powerful spirit.  He's living with a home in Jerusalem where he commands respect and worship.  

As noted above he is an part of Elohim.  He is the male image of God and carries his physical seed.

5. Eloah:  First named when Artaxerxes stopped construction of the temple Eloah is found only in Ezra (4:24-6:18 & 7:12-7:26).  Elohim is used elsewhere in the book and the definition of Eloah says they correspond.  The name means "strong mentor behold".  Eloah has prophets & scribes who minister her supreme laws in her temple in Jerusalem.  She is the God of the Jews and of heaven who watches over guides & protects those who are hers.  Eloah is the third member of Elohim.  She is a physical spirit who mates with Elah to physically create on earth.

6. Tsoor:  The sixth name for God is a cliff or sharp rock as if compressed like a rock or boulder.  It may be read to mean "trail added enter". Eloah and Tsoor are synonymous and have authority over their creation.  The name refers to the feminine physical temple in Jerusalem where Israel would enter into God.

7. Bethel:  Bethel is the house of God and may be said to mean "house worship behold - strong mentor".  In context Bethel is an open house within a house on a high place belonging to Elohim.  Eloah is the strong mentor of Elohim.

Finally, looking at these names they all point to YHVH.  Knowing HE is an aspect of all the other Gods via Elohim.  Now we see how HE was involved in the old testament story from the beginning.  HE is spirit and HE must have a soul to affect physicality and HIS is Elohim.  Elohim is a mobile fertility kit with male seed Eloah and his female mate Elah and life or YHVH.

Below is the basis for the summaries that formed the conclusions
               above.  Here you will see more detail with scripture given for each
               use of these seven names for God.  

#1 "Yehovah" (H3068) means self existent or eternal, from (H1961) to exist, be or become.  He is the  same as "Jehova" the Jewish national name for God.  The Hebrew pictograph of the letters Yod-Hey- Vav-Hey read  "nail behold deed behold".  Only twice in the bible is Yehovah used without "Lord" pre ceeding it (Gen. 6:5 & 2Sam. 12:22).  In those instances you can see below that it seems as if His mercy
 is withdrawn.  "Lord" is also defined by (H3068) so when we see "Lord God" it serves as an emphatic.  Some examples where "God" has been substituted for the word "Yehovah" in scripture are:

1. (Gen. 6:5) "And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth..." and He sent the flood.
2. (Gen. 15:2) ..."Lord God, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless..."
3. (Ex. 34:23) "Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord God..."
4. (Josh. 7:7) "Alas, O Lord God, wherefore hast thou at all brought this people over Jordan..."
5. (Judg 6:22) "...Gideon said, Alas, O Lord God! for because I have seen an angel of the Lord..."
6. (2Sam. 7:18) "Who am I, O Lord God? and what is my house..."?
7. (2Sam. 12:22) While the child was alive I fasted & wept since who can tell if God will be gracious.
8. (Ps. 68:20) ..."and unto God the Lord belong the issues from death"
9. (Ps. 141:8) "But mine eyes are unto thee, O God the Lord: in thee is my trust: leave not my soul destitute."
10. (Is. 3:15) "What mean ye that ye beat my people to pieces, and grind the faces of the poor? saith the Lord God of hosts."

From these scriptures it can be summarized that YHVH:
1. sees all and is merciless to sin  2. may bless us as he has compassion  3. demands accountability of men  4. plan is not always evident to us  5. his motivations are not always evident  6. we may ask Him questions  7. grace is his discretion  8. he is in control of the spiritual  9.  influences our soul  10. has an army

Summary:  YHVH is the eternal God and HE has a chosen people.  The name can be defined as meaning "God's hand behold nail behold".  His ways can be mysterious but we may ask him questions and expect an answer.  He has grace, mercy & compassion but is merciless toward sin.  He gives yet he punishes and requires accountability in the physical and the spiritual.  

#2 "El" (H410) el, ale, strength, as adj. "mighty", the Almighty, also lesser deity, shortened from (352) ayel, ah-yil, anything strong - a chief, ram, an oak, a pillar.  The two Hebrew pictograph letters contained in "El", Aleph-Lamed, can be said to read "strong mentor".  Passages that pertain to the use of "El" where our word "God" is used in the Bible are:

1. (Gen 17:1) ..."I am the Almighty (Shaday) God..."
2. (Ex. 15:2) "The Lord (Yehovah) is my strength and song, and he is become my
    salvation: he is my God"...
3. (Num. 12:13) "Moses cried unto the Lord (Yehovah), saying, Heal her now, O God,
    I beseech thee."
4. (Deut. 4:24) "a consuming fire, even a jealous God."
5. (Deut. 3:24)  ..."for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do
    according to thy works..."
6. (Josh. 3:10) ..."Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you..."
7. (2 Sam. 22:31) "As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord (Yehovah) is
    tried..."
8. (Neh. 9:31)  ..."for thou art a gracious and merciful God."
9. (Job 8:20)  ..."God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil
    doers."
10. (Ps. 19:1) "The HEAVENS declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth
    his handiwork."

From these passages we gather that El:
1. is supremely powerful  2. is three in one  3. heals  4. requires complete loyalty  5. is Supreme in creation  6. dwells among us  7. acts for YHVH  8. is good despite our merit  9. will not forsake those who love him  10. we can see his glory

Summary:   El lives among us as three in one and creator of both the heavens and the earth.  Loyalty to Him strengthens and heals us bringing joy.   Yet He is gracious to us so that we will be saved from damnation.

#3 "Elohim" (H430) el-o-heem, plural of (433) thus emphatic - the supreme God, a magistrate in the old testament book of Judges .  He has been referred to as the divine plural since it involves a plural noun (God, god) but uses singular verbs and adjectives.   It is sometimes proceeded by "Lord" (Yehovah) making the phrase emphatic and specific to the supreme God.  The Hebrew letters of the name Elohim
are Mem-Yod-Hey-Lamed-Aleph to form a phrase that can mean "strong mentor reveals deed blood".  This name is the only one referenced throughout the Genesis creation story. This is the term used most often for God in the old testament by far. Some uses of Elohim are:

1. (Gen. 1:1) "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth."
2. (Gen. 1:10) "God saw that it was good."
3. (Gen 1:28) "God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply..."
4. (Gen. 2:2)  God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made."
5. (Gen. 5:24)  "Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him."  
6. (Gen.8:1)  God "remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that
    was with him in the ark...".
7. (Gen. 35:5)  Enemies of the Jews were held at bay as "the terror of God was
    upon..." them.
8. (Gen. 35:10)  God tells Jacob "Thy name is Jacob...but Israel shall be thy name...".
9. (Ex.3:14)  In expressing his eternal being God says "I AM THAT I AM".
10. (Lev. 18:4) "I am the Lord (Yehovah) your God."
11. (Num. 22:38) ..."the word that God putteth in my mouth, that shall I speak."
12. (Deut. 10:17) "For the Lord (Yehovah) your God is God of gods..."
13. (Josh. 22:16)  "What trespass is this that you have committed against the God of
     Israel..."
14. (Judg. 5:3) "I will sing praise to the Lord (Yehovah) God of Israel."
15. (1 Kin 12:22)  "But the word of God came unto Shemaiah the man of God..."

So, from these scriptures I can say that Elohim:
1. is the master creator and eternal   2. sees earth and is concerned about goodness  3. gives us gifts & blessings 4. likes to rest  5. is physical or spiritual  6. has virtue  7. is terrible to his enemies  8.determines our fate  9. is "that" GOD  10. is "that" GOD  11. imputes words in us  12. is one of three  13. has laws & a people 14. is GOD of Israel 15.  imputes his words in us

Summary:   Elohim is one of three eternal Gods including YHVH and worthy of all praise.  His name can be said to mean the "strong mentor who reveals the deed of blood".   Supreme and all knowing he created the physical and controls it and likes to rest.  He is a virtuous promise keeper while bitterly fighting his enemies.  He rewards and communes with us infusing his truth in our hearts.  

#4 "Eloah" (H433) ,el-o-ah, probably a prolonged emphatic from (410) a deity or the Deity, God, god, See Elohim.  Again the name starts like "El" but with two more letters Aleph-Lamed-Vav-Hey.  This can be read "strong mentor added behold". Defining Elohim we saw that this God is an aspect of that one.  Some verses using Eloah are:

1. (Deu 32:15) Israel then forsook the God which made him lightly esteeming the
    Rock of his salvation.
2. (Ezr 2:24)  "Then ceased the work of the house of God which is at Jerusalem."
3. (Ezr 7:15)  The gold that the king offered unto the God of Israel is carried to
    Jerusalem.
4. (Job 4:9)  "By the blast of God they perish and by the breath of his nostrils are
    they consumed."
5. (Job 27:3)  While my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils.
6. (Ps 18:31)  "For who is God save the Lord (YHVH)? or who is a rock save our God
    (Elohim)?"
7. (Ps 50:22)  Consider this you that forget God lest I tear you in pieces & there be
    none to deliver
8. (Ps 114:7)  "Tremble thou earth, at the presence of the Lord (Adon), at the
    presence of the God of Jacob."
9. (Is 44:8)  Yehovah says "Is there a God beside me?" yea, no God (Tsoor). I know
    not."
10. (Dan 3:25) In the furnace Nebuchadnezzar sees a form like the Son of God.

From these passages it can be concluded that Eloah:
1.  made Israel  2.has a house at Jerusalem  3. is the God of Israel  4. has explosive power  5. is a soul  6. is YHVH & Elohim  7. demands worship  8. earth and Israel fear  9. is the same as Tsoor 10. looks like God

Summary:  The name Eloah can be interpreted to mean "Strong Mentor Added Behold".  She is our Lord and YHVH.  She is a soul that looks like God having a powerful spirit.  She's living with a home in Jerusalem where he commands respect and worship.  

#5 "Elah" (H426) elahh, el-aw, corresponds to Elohim.  The Hebrew letters Hey-Lamed-Aleph can be interpreted to mean "strong mentor behold". Some uses of Elah in scripture:

1. (Ezr. 5:2) Zerubbabel & Jeshua begin to build the temple with "the prophets of God
    helping them."
2. (Ezr. 5:5) "But the eye of their God was upon the elders" and they persuaded the
    king to let them build
3. (Ezr. 5:8)  Tatnai writes to try & stop the Jews building "the house of the great
    God" in Jerusalem.
4. (Ezr. 5:12) After the Jews provoked "the God of heaven unto wrath" he gave them
    to Babylon.
5. (Ezr. 6:10) King Darius blesses the building so the Jews can send "savours unto the
    God of heaven".
6. (Ezr. 6:14) They continued to build under the "commandment of the God of Israel".
7. (Ezr. 7:12) King Artazerxes writes to Ezra a scribe "of the law of the God of
    heaven".
8. (Ezr. 7:16) Artazerxes gives the Jews the gold & silver of Babylon for "their God
    which is in Jerusalem".
9. (Ezr. 7:24) No toll, tribute or custom will be taken from the "ministers of this house
    of God".
10. (Ezr. 7:26) Decrees are made by the king for those who "will not do the law of
    thy God".

From these it can be said that Elah:
1. has prophets involved on earth  2. has influence on men  3. is great & has a house in Jerusalem  4. has a heavenly realm and wrath  5. has a heavenly kingdom 6. is God of Israel  7. has scribes  8. he has an earthly locale in Jerusalem  9. has ministers 10. has overarching laws

Summary: Elah is first named when Artaxerxes stopped construction of the temple and is found only in Ezra (4:24-6:18 & 7:12-7:26).  Elohim is used elsewhere in the book and the definition of Elah says they correspond.   The name means "strong mentor behold".  Elah has prophets & scribes who minister his supreme laws in his temple in Jerusalem.  He is the God of the Jews and of heaven who watches over guides & protects those who are his.

#6 "Tsoor" (H6697) a cliff or sharp rock as compressed, lit. rock or boulder fig. refuge, edge -  The letters of Tsoor read Tsade-Vav-Dalet but there's another spelling that leaves "Vav" out.  Based on the long form it can be read as "trail added enter".  Only two passages apply to Tsoor and they are:

1. (Isa. 44:8)  After telling how that he is the beginning and the end Eloah asks
    rhetorically, "Is there a God (Eloah) beside me? "yea, no God; I know not."
2, (Hab. 1:12) YHVH tells Habakkuk how that the Chaldeans will destroy everything
    and he responds"...O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction."

From these Elah and Tsoor are the same and involved in creation and correction.

Summary:   Elah and Tsoor are synonymous and have authority over their creation. The name refers to the feminine physical temple in Jerusalem where Israel would enter into God.

#7 "Bethel" (H1008)  The house of God, from (1004) house & (H410) strength - a place in Palestine. The Hebrew letters are Lamed-Aleph---Hey-Yod-Bet and may be said to read "house worship behold - strong mentor".  Here are the only four passages in scripture that use the name:

1. (Judg. 20:18) Israel went "to the house of God" & counseled of God (Elohim) about
    fighting Benjamin.
2. Judg. 20:26) After two days of defeat the people "came unto the house of God,
    and wept".
3. (Judg. 20:31) Benjamin was drawn out & into the highways that "goeth up to the
    house of God".
4. (Judg 21:2) The people "came to the house of God" and wept after their victory
   over Benjamin

Reading these scriptures Bethel is:
1. Elohim's house  2. a house of worship 3. a high place  4.the physical center of
    worship

Summary:  Bethel is the house of God and may be said to mean "house worship behold - strong mentor".  In context Bethel is an open house within a house on a high place belonging to Elohim.  It is another name for Elah and Tsoor.  Elah is the strong mentor of Elohim.
AdminTim
Admin

View user profile http://4himtree.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top